Historic hemp fibre facts
- Hemp is one of the oldest plants used by mankind. It has been cultivated for thousands of years and Hemp seeds have been found in archaeological excavations over much of the World.
- Some of the oldest paper found in tombs in China was made from hemp fibre.
- Hemp cloth has been found in the tombs of ancient Egypt.
- Hemp ropes, cords and fabrics were essential to the early exploration of the World, providing ropes and sails for ships, shelter and clothing for settlers.
- Hemp was, for many years, essential to the economy of many countries.
- In the United States of America, for 200 years, taxes could be paid in bales of hemp.
- The first drafts of the American Constitution were written on hemp paper and William Shakespeare wrote on hemp paper.
- Many famous artists painted on canvas (hemp).